This week’s Top Ten Tuesday prompt is a love freebie, so I dug around for quotes about love and human connection from books on my shelves with “love” in the title to narrow down potential sources.
1. Now the disappointment was returning and with it the realization that the magic had come only from the moment, not from him. It was different with you. In the eyes and ears of my heart, you and the magic are one and the same. The setting never mattered.
― Jerry Spinelli, Love, Stargirl
2. Age has no reality except in the physical world. The essence of a human being is resistant to the passage of time. Our inner lives are eternal, which is to say that our spirits remain as youthful and vigorous as when we were in full bloom. Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and omega. An end in itself.
― Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera
3. I am an intelligent woman. I am a good person and a loving daughter. I matter, and what I have to offer also matters. I can forgive myself for whatever I did yesterday, because today is a new day.
― Diane Guerrero, In the Country We Love: My Family Divided
4. She pushed the button and like a miracle her head filled with the sound of Jerry Trupiano’s voice… and more importantly, with the sounds of Fenway Park. She was sitting out here in the darkening, drippy woods, lost and alone, but she could hear thirty thousand people. It was a miracle.
― Stephen King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
5. Violent love eats up what it does love, and it is mere appetite. I scribbled on the bottom of this before sending it back: I would sooner cut my own flesh than do you a hurt.
― Maria McCann, As Meat Loves Salt
6. We make families of our own, Travis whispered in my arms on the last night we spent together. It starts with you and me and then it spreads. And whatever happens, there’ll always be a part of me that’s part of you. No matter what.
― Steve Kluger, Almost Like Being In Love
7. So release yourself from that. Don’t be strategic or coy. Strategic and coy are for jackasses. Be brave. Be authentic. Practice saying the word ‘love’ to the people you love so when it matters the most to say it, you will.
― Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
8. I don’t love Beau yet, I don’t think. But being with him feels like a better version of being alone, and in that way, I think we are each other’s.
― Emily Henry, The Love that Split the World
9. No one who loves life can ignore literature, and no one who loves literature can ignore life.
― Laura Esquivel, Between Two Fires: Intimate Writings on Life, Love, Food, and Flavor
10. I see the difference now, between loving someone from afar and loving someone up close. When you see them up close, you see the real them, but they also get to see the real you.
― Jenny Han, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
Do you have any favourite quotes about love? Feel free to share them in the comments!